Department of Computer Science
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Carbondale, IL 62901
Office: FANER 2138
Email: kemal - cs dot siu dot edu
I am an Associate
Professor in the Department of Computer Science at
Southern Illinois University (SIU). I received my PhD in
Computer Science from
University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC)
in 2005. I lead the Advanced Wireless and Sensor Networking (ADWISE)
Research Lab at SIU. My current research
interests are :
Wireless Sensor Networks
- Energy-Efficient Protocols
- QoS Provisioning
- Node Placement
- Coverage and Connectivity
- QoS Routing
- Smart Grid Communications
- Multimedia Processing and Communication
- Secure Routing
- Vehicular Ad Hoc Network Security
- Smart Grid Security & Privacy
- PKI & Key Distribution
Please check my Google Scholar Site.
What is New?
- Dr. Akkaya is the Publicity Chair for IEEE WCNC 2015.
- Dr. Akkaya is the Workshop Chair for IEEE IPCCC 2014.
- New Grant: Privacy-preserving Data Collection and Access for IEEE 802.11s-based Smart Grid Applications, funded by NSF, 300K.
- Dr. Akkaya joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials.
- Dr. Akkaya is the Publications Chair for IEEE LCN 2014.
Ad Hoc Networks most dowloaded article in 2010: K. Akkaya and M.
Younis, "A survey on routing protocols for wireless sensor networks",
Vol 3. No. 3. # of downloads: 4499
- Number of Citations: 5590 as of Juy 2014.
Newly accepted papers:
- M. Younis, I. Senturk, K. Akkaya, S. Lee, and F. Senel, “Topology Management Techniques for Tolerating Node Failures in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey”, Elsevier Computer Networks (to appear).
- K. Akkaya,
K. Rabieh, M. Mahmoud and S. Tonyali, ``Efficient Generation and
Distribution of CRLs for IEEE 802.11s-based Smart Grid AMI Networks",
in the Proceedings of IEEE Smart Grid Communications Conference (SmartGridComm'14) (to appear).
- N. Saputro and K. Akkaya, ``Periodic Data Reporting Strategies for IEEE 802.11s-based Smart Grid AMI Networks", in the Proceedings of IEEE Smart Grid Communications Conference (SmartGridComm'14) (to appear).
- G. Solmaz, K. Akkaya and Damla Turgut, “Communication-constrained p-Center Problem for Event Coverage in Theme Parks”, in the Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM’14) (to appear).
- I. F. Senturk and K. Akkaya, “Connectivity Restoration in Disjoint Wireless Sensor Networks Using Centrality Measures”, in the Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Performance and Management of Wireless and Mobile Networks (P2MNET’14) (to appear).
- N. Saputro and K. Akkaya, “An Improved TCP for Reduced Packet Delay in IEEE 802.11s-based Smart Grid AMI Networks”, in the Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Ad Hoc Networks (ADHOCNETS’14) (to appear).
- P. Boluk and K. Akkaya,
"Performance Evaluation of Background Subtraction Algorithms for
Android Devices Deployed in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks", in
the Proceedings of IEEE IWCMC 2014 (to appear).